Expert Cancer Care
Is One Call Away, Appointments In As Little As 24 Hrs.
Kidneys are one of the most important organs in the human body. The kidneys are a pair of bean-shaped organs located on either side of spine, below the ribs. Each kidney is about 4 or 5 inches long. The main job of kidney is to filter blood. Kidney removes waste and extra water from the blood to make urine. Kidneys also maintains overall fluid balance in the body.
Kidney cancer begins in the kidneys. In adults, renal cell carcinoma is the most common type of kidney cancer while children develop Kidney cancer known as Wilms tumor.
Kidney cancer begins when some kidney cells acquire mutations in their DNA. The mutations cause cells to grow and divide rapidly. This accumulation of abnormal cells form tumor. If kidney cancer is not treated on time then it can spread to other parts of the body.
Symptoms of Kidney Cancer
- Blood in Urine
- Back pain
- Loss of appetite
- Unexplained weight loss
- Fever usually comes and goes
Causes of Kidney Cancer
Major causes of Kidney cancer include:
- Older age
- High blood pressure
- Certain inherited syndromes such as Hippel-Lindau disease, Birt-Hogg-Dube syndrome, tuberous sclerosis complex, hereditary papillary renal cell carcinoma or familial renal cancer.
- Family history
- Exposure to radiation or chemical substances
Diagnosis of Kidney Cancer
Early detection of Kidney cancer is necessary to cure kidney cancer. Tests and procedures used to diagnose kidney cancer include:
- Blood and urine tests: Many times doctor asks for blood and urine tests to detect signs and symptoms of kidney cancer.
- Imaging Tests: Imaging tests include CT and MRI scans. These tests are used to visualize kidney tumor or abnormality in the kidney cells.
- Biopsy: In this treatment, sample of cells are taken from kidney. The sample is tested in a lab to look for signs of cancer.
Treatment of Kidney Cancer
Surgery is the main treatment for the majority of kidney cancers. The main goal of surgery is to remove cancerous tumor and to preserve normal kidney function. Surgical procedures used to treat kidney cancer include:
- Nephrectomy: This surgery involves removing the entire kidney. Cancer surgeon performs laparoscopic or robotic-assisted laparoscopic nephrectomy.
- Partial Nephrectomy: This surgery is also called as kidney-sparing or nephron-sparing surgery. The surgeon removes the tumor and a small portion of healthy tissue surrounding kidney than the entire kidney. It can be done as an open procedure or laparoscopically or with robotic assistance.
During Cryoablation, a special hollow needle is inserted through skin and into the kidney tumor. Cold gas in the needle is used to cool down or freeze the cancer cells.
During radiofrequency ablation, a special probe is inserted through the skin and into the kidney tumor using ultrasound or other imaging to guide movement of the probe.
Radiation therapy uses high-powered energy beams such as X-rays to kill cancer cells. Radiation therapy is used to control or reduce symptoms of kidney cancer.
Targeted therapy blocks specific abnormal signals present in kidney cancer cells and prevents growth of cancerous cells.
It is also known as Immunotherapy. Biological therapy uses body’s own immune system to fight cancer.
Kidney cancer is preventable and curable if it is diagnosed at the earliest stage. Quitting smoking, controlling blood pressure, and maintaining a healthy weight are the best ways to prevent Kidney cancer.
Specialty Surgical Oncology hospital is highly sophisticated with modern medical technology to treat all types of cancers. Our hospital is giving new, happy and healthy life to many Kidney cancer patients.
Patient Can Trust Other Patient With More Impactful
Treating Doctor :
Dr. Jay Anam
Dr. Jay Anam Sir who performed CA Breast MRM surgery of my Mom.. I'm very grateful for your compassionate care & attention to my Mom throughout the treatment including your way of making her so comfortable, positive & strong enough during the treatment by your humble responses to all the queries. Also wanted to very much thank all the support team of Specialty Surgical Oncology (including Leena Ma'am & Sikandar Sir) for the best care
Treating Doctor :
Dr. Praveen Kammar
Dr.Praveen Kammar has been very patient in explaining diagnosis and plan of action. Fortunately our surgery, which was planned as Major surgery, could be avoided and all went out smoothly. Overall a good experience at SSO hospital and each member of the organization ensured utmost care and empathy is given to the patient. Hospital is clean and without clutter. Rooms are spacious and well maintained.
Let’s clear in detailed about your problems