Penile Cancer is the cancer of the Penis. It is generally a rare type of cancer which affects the skin and tissues of the Penis. Penile Cancer occurs when healthy cells in the penis become cancerous and begin to grow out of control forming a tumor.
If Penile Cancer is not treated on time then it can spread to other parts of the body like glands, lymph nodes and other organs. Around 95% of Penile Cancers are squamous cell carcinomas.
Penile Cancer Symptoms
- Changes in the color of the penis
- Thickening of the penile skin
- Swollen lymph nodes in the groin
If any man experiences any of the above symptoms then he should immediately consult the doctor.
Penile Cancer Causes
There is a very high risk of Penile Cancer in uncircumcised men. This is because phimosis and smegma diseases can easily affect the conditions of penis in uncircumcised men. Other major causes are:
- Age over 60
- Poor personal hygiene
- Living in a region with poor sanitation and hygiene practices
- Human Papilloma Virus (HPV)
Penile Cancer Diagnosis
Early diagnosis is very important to cure Penile Cancer. Cancer doctors ask for various diagnosis methods as per the symptoms seen in the patient.
First of all, doctor performs physical examination. In this test, doctor checks patient’s penis and inspect for the presence of any lumps, masses or sores.
After the physical examination, if doctor is suspected about cancer then Biopsy is performed. In this test, small sample of skin or tissue from the penis is taken and finally it is analyzed for the presence of cancerous cells.
If Biopsy analysis report shows the signs of cancer then again doctor performs Cystoscopy to check the level of cancer spread. During a cystoscopy, doctor gently inserts the cystoscope into the penis opening and through the bladder. This allows doctor to view the different areas of the penis and the surrounding structures. This test is used to determine whether the cancer has spread or not.
Penile Cancer Types
The two main types of penile cancer are invasive and noninvasive.
- Noninvasive Penile Cancer: Noninvasive Penile Cancer does not spread to deeper tissues, lymph nodes and glands.
- Invasive Penile Cancer: Invasive Penile Cancer spreads to deeper tissues, lymph nodes and glands.
Penile Cancer Treatment
Penile cancer treatment is mainly depending on the stages and types of penile cancer.
Main treatments for Noninvasive Penile Cancer include:
- Circumcision: In this treatment type, the foreskin of the penis is removed.
- Laser therapy: High-intensity light is focused to destroy tumors and cancer cells.
- Chemotherapy: In Chemotherapy, aggressive form of chemical drugs are used to eliminate cancer cells in the body.
- Radiation therapy: In this therapy, High-energy radiation is used to shrink tumors and to kills cancer cells.
- Cryosurgery: In this treatment, liquid nitrogen is used to freeze tumors and removes them.
Treatments for Invasive Penile Cancer include major surgery such as:
Surgery involves the removal of tumor, entire penis or lymph nodes in the groin and pelvis region. Surgery options include:
- Excisional Surgery: This surgery is performed to remove tumor from the Penis.
- Mohs Surgery: During Mohs surgery, thin layers of cancer-containing skin are progressively removed and examined until only cancer-free tissue remains. Mohs surgery is also known as Mohs Micrographic Surgery.
- Partial Penectomy: A partial Penectomy surgery removes part of the penis. This surgery is most effective for small tumor. If tumor is large then entire penis is removed which is known as Total Penectomy.
Early detection of Penile Cancer is very helpful for complete recovery. Patient should not afraid of cancer instead he should take proper treatment from a well experienced cancer specialist.
Patient Can Trust Other Patient With More Impactful
Treating Doctor :
Dr. Jay Anam
Dr. Jay Anam Sir who performed CA Breast MRM surgery of my Mom.. I'm very grateful for your compassionate care & attention to my Mom throughout the treatment including your way of making her so comfortable, positive & strong enough during the treatment by your humble responses to all the queries. Also wanted to very much thank all the support team of Specialty Surgical Oncology (including Leena Ma'am & Sikandar Sir) for the best care
Treating Doctor :
Dr. Praveen Kammar
Dr.Praveen Kammar has been very patient in explaining diagnosis and plan of action. Fortunately our surgery, which was planned as Major surgery, could be avoided and all went out smoothly. Overall a good experience at SSO hospital and each member of the organization ensured utmost care and empathy is given to the patient. Hospital is clean and without clutter. Rooms are spacious and well maintained.
Let’s clear in detailed about your problems