The Prostate Gland is a male reproductive organ. It is an apricot-sized, muscular gland and its main function is to secrete prostate fluid which is one of the crucial components of semen. Prostate Cancer occurs in the Prostate Gland.
This is one of the most common types of cancer in men. Prostate Cancer generally a slow growing disease and most of the men with low grade Prostate Cancer can live many years but high grade Prostate Cancer is a rapidly growing disease and can be life threatening if not treated on time.
Prostate Cancer Symptoms
Normally, Prostate Cancer never shows any specific symptoms at the early stage but at the advanced stage it shows symptoms such as:
- Trouble in urinating
- Decreased force in the stream of urine
- Blood in semen
- Discomfort in the pelvic area
- Bone pain
- Erectile dysfunction
If any male experiences above symptoms then he should consult doctor immediately.
Prostate Cancer Causes
Exact cause of Prostate Cancer is still unknown. Prostate Cancer occurs due to the abnormalities in the cells. These abnormal cells rapidly grow and form a Tumor. Major risk factors include:
- Family history
Prostate Cancer Complications
Complications of Prostate Cancer and its treatments include:
- Metastasizes: If Prostate Cancer is not treated properly on time then it can spread to nearby organs like Bladder or travel through bloodstream or lymphatic system to bones. Prostate cancer that spreads to the bones can cause pain and broken bones.
- Incontinence: Both prostate cancer and its treatment can cause Urinary Incontinence.
- Erectile Dysfunction: Prostate Cancer treatments such as Surgery, Radiation Therapy and Chemotherapy can cause Erectile Dysfunction.
Prostate Cancer Diagnosis
Early diagnosis is very important to cure Prostate Cancer. Various screening tests include:
- Digital Rectal Exam (DRE): In this test, doctor inserts a gloved, lubricated finger into patient’s rectum to examine prostate.
- Prostate Specific Antigen (PSA): A blood sample is taken from a vein in patient’s arm and analyzed for PSA. A PSA substance is naturally produced by Prostate Gland.
- Ultrasound: If other tests failed to diagnose properly then doctor can use transrectal ultrasound for further evaluation of Prostate Gland.
- Prostate Biopsy: If initial test suggests prostate cancer then doctor performs Biopsy to collect a sample of cells from prostate.
- Other tests: MRI and PET scanning are also helpful to diagnose Prostate Cancer.
Prostate Cancer Treatment
Prostate Cancer treatment is depending on the stages of cancer. Various treatment options are:
Doctor performs surgery to remove Prostate Gland. It is also known as Radical Prostatectomy. Radical Prostatectomy is performed in several ways like Robotic Prostatectomy and Retropubic Surgery. Robotic prostatectomy allows the surgeon to make more-precise movements with surgical tools while during Retropubic surgery, the prostate gland is taken out through an incision in the lower abdomen.
Radiation Therapy uses high powered energy to kill cancer cells. Prostate cancer radiation therapy is delivered in two ways. During external beam radiation therapy, patient sleeps on a table while a machine moves around the body, directing high-powered energy beams such as X-rays or protons. In Brachytherapy, many rice sized radioactive seeds are place in patient’s Prostate tissue by using a needle. This radioactive seeds deliver a low dose of radiation over a long period of time.
Hormone therapy treatment is used to stop body from producing the male hormone testosterone. A Testosterone helps Prostate Cancer cells to grow fast. Hormone therapy cuts the supply of testosterone so that the cancer cells die or grow slowly.
Chemotherapy can be effective treatment option if prostate cancer has spread to remote body locations. Chemotherapy is also done if Hormone therapy failed to give desired results. In Chemotherapy, drugs are used to kill rapidly growing cancerous cells.
Prostate Cancer patient should not afraid of disease. Instead he should take proper treatment from experienced and skillful cancer surgeon. Prostate Cancer is preventable or risk of prostate cancer can be prevented by adapting healthy habits such as eating fresh fruits and vegetable, doing daily exercises, maintaining healthy weight and avoiding smoking as well as alcohol.
Patient Can Trust Other Patient With More Impactful
Treating Doctor :
Dr. Jay Anam
Dr. Jay Anam Sir who performed CA Breast MRM surgery of my Mom.. I'm very grateful for your compassionate care & attention to my Mom throughout the treatment including your way of making her so comfortable, positive & strong enough during the treatment by your humble responses to all the queries. Also wanted to very much thank all the support team of Specialty Surgical Oncology (including Leena Ma'am & Sikandar Sir) for the best care
Treating Doctor :
Dr. Praveen Kammar
Dr.Praveen Kammar has been very patient in explaining diagnosis and plan of action. Fortunately our surgery, which was planned as Major surgery, could be avoided and all went out smoothly. Overall a good experience at SSO hospital and each member of the organization ensured utmost care and empathy is given to the patient. Hospital is clean and without clutter. Rooms are spacious and well maintained.
Let’s clear in detailed about your problems