Endometrial cancer is cancer that arises from the endometrium. It is the result of the abnormal growth of cells that spreads to the other parts of the body.
It begins in the uterus. The uterus is the hollow, pear-shaped pelvic organ in women where fetal development occurs.
Endometrial cancer begins in the layer of cells from the lining of the uterus. Endometrial cancer is also known as uterine cancer.
Signs and Symptoms of Endometrial Cancer:
Symptoms of endometrial cancer are as follows:
- Vaginal bleeding after menopause
- Bleeding without periods
- An abnormal, watery, or blood-tinged discharge from your vagina
- Pelvic pain
- Difficult or painful urination
- Pain during sexual intercourse
- Unexpected and rapid weight loss
- Weakness and pain in the lower abdomen, back and legs.
Causes of Endometrial Cancer
Expertise in Endometrial Cancer (uterine Cancer)Treatment
“Take control of your health and explore our comprehensive endometrial cancer treatment options at SSO Hospital. Schedule a consultation today. know more our expert endometrial Surgeon will guide you towards a brighter, cancer-free future.”
Following are some of the main causes of Endometrial Cancer:
- Changes in the balance of female hormones in the body.
- More years of menstruation. If menstruation occurs are the beginning of the 12 years. The more periods the patient has the more exposure the endometrium has to estrogen.
- As the patient gets older the risk of getting endometrial cancer increases.
- Obesity is the main cause of any disease. As obesity increases the risk of getting endometrial cancer increases.
- Women with breast cancer who take the hormone therapy drug tamoxifen have an increased risk of developing endometrial cancer.
- Hereditary nonpolyposis colorectal cancer (HNPCC) is a syndrome that increases the risk of colon cancer and other cancers, including endometrial cancer.
Diagnosis of Endometrial Cancer
During a pelvic exam, the Endometrial Cancer Doctor carefully inspects the outer portion of your genitals (vulva) and then inserts two fingers of one hand into your vagina and simultaneously presses the other hand on your abdomen to feel your uterus and ovaries.
He or she also inserts a device called a speculum into your vagina. The speculum opens your vagina so that your doctor can view your vagina and cervix for abnormalities.
The transvaginal ultrasound technique is used to look at the thickness and texture of the endometrium and help rule out other conditions.
In this procedure, a wandlike device (transducer) is inserted into your vagina. The transducer uses sound waves to create a video image of your uterus.
Removing the sample of tissue for testing:
To get a sample of cells from inside your uterus, you’ll likely undergo an endometrial biopsy. This involves removing tissue from your uterine lining for laboratory analysis.
Endometrial biopsy may be done in your doctor’s office and usually doesn’t require anesthesia.
Endometrial cancer affects the lining of the uterus, and early detection is key to successful treatment. At SSO Hospital, our expert team of oncologists and gynecologists is committed to providing comprehensive care, from diagnosis to personalized treatment plans.
Treatment of Endometrial Cancer
Surgery to remove the uterus is recommended for most women with endometrial cancer. Most women with endometrial cancer(uterine Cancer) undergo a procedure to remove the uterus (hysterectomy), as well as to remove the fallopian tubes and ovaries (salpingo-oophorectomy).
A hysterectomy makes it impossible for you to have children in the future.
Radiation therapy uses powerful energy beams, such as X-rays and protons, to kill cancer cells. In some conditions, the doctor may recommend radiation to reduce your risk of cancer recurrence after surgery.
In certain situations, radiation therapy may also be recommended before surgery, to shrink a tumor and make it easier to remove.
Radiation therapy can involve:
- Radiation from a machine outside your body. During external beam radiation, you lie on a table while a machine directs radiation to specific points on your body.
- Radiation is placed inside your body. Internal radiation (brachytherapy) involves placing a radiation-filled device, such as small seeds, wires, or a cylinder, inside your vagina for a short period of time.
Hormone therapy involves taking medications that affect hormone levels in the body. Hormone therapy may be an option if you have advanced endometrial cancer that has spread beyond the uterus.
- Medications to increase the amount of progesterone in your body. Synthetic progestin, a form of the hormone progesterone, may help stop endometrial cancer cells from growing.
- Medications to reduce the amount of estrogen in your body. Hormone therapy drugs can help lower the levels of estrogen in your body or make it difficult for your body to use the available estrogen. Endometrial cancer cells that rely on estrogen to help them grow may die in response to these medications.
Chemotherapy uses chemicals to kill cancer cells. The patient receives chemotherapy drugs, or two or more drugs can be used in combination.
You may receive chemotherapy drugs by pill or through your veins. Chemotherapy may be recommended for women with advanced or recurrent endometrial cancer that has spread beyond the uterus.
These drugs enter your bloodstream and then travel through your body, killing cancer cells.
Patient Can Trust Other Patient With More Impactful
Treating Doctor :
Dr. Jay Anam
Dr. Jay Anam Sir who performed CA Breast MRM surgery of my Mom.. I'm very grateful for your compassionate care & attention to my Mom throughout the treatment including your way of making her so comfortable, positive & strong enough during the treatment by your humble responses to all the queries. Also wanted to very much thank all the support team of Specialty Surgical Oncology (including Leena Ma'am & Sikandar Sir) for the best care
Treating Doctor :
Dr. Praveen Kammar
Dr.Praveen Kammar has been very patient in explaining diagnosis and plan of action. Fortunately our surgery, which was planned as Major surgery, could be avoided and all went out smoothly. Overall a good experience at SSO hospital and each member of the organization ensured utmost care and empathy is given to the patient. Hospital is clean and without clutter. Rooms are spacious and well maintained.
Let’s clear in detailed about your problems